| Goals of the M-Zones Research Programme |
The overall goal of M-Zones is to:
Undertake fundamental research into novel management infrastructures
to enable collaboration and management, between and within Smart Spaces.
Within the overall goal of the programme, M-Zones will:
- Take a holistic view of Smart Space Management by representing
them as Managed-Zones ('M-Zones'), which encompass
one or more smart spaces and the context of these spaces e.g.
participants, information resources, time, IT infrastructure
etc. M-Zones represent domains of management in which Smart
Spaces can be managed and between which participants/devices
roam and dynamic service provisioning can be supported.
- Provide insight into the infrastructures and technologies
to provide dynamic, real-time management within and between
- Adopt a 'policy-based management approach' to support dynamic
monitoring, configuration, control and co-ordination of these
management zones. The management systems will be particularly
sensitive to unique properties of smart spaces including:
large-scale numbers of embedded processors/information appliances,
mobility, wireless communication, temporal properties and
the potential for 're-programming' of the smart spaces.
- Develop a Smart Space management framework based on standards
and best practice from both the Telecommunications and IT
standardisation work such as TeleManagement Forum, Object
Management Group, ETSI and ITU telecommunications standards.
- Foster close collaboration among the research groups, which
comprise experts in management & control systems, smart spaces,
wireless systems and networks.
- Enable exchange of researchers between sides and foster
external collaboration with international centres of excellence.